Flexarm Wheelchair Headrest Microphone swings away for transfers
Always available voice controlled calling & digital entertainment without pressing any buttons or even having to see the phone! Easily and inconspicuously mounts on wheelchair and communicates with cell phone wirelessly using Bluetooth protocol.
"Like a Bluetooth Headset on Steroids"
completely Voice Controlled, truly button-free hands-free, and power wheelchair integrated
|Call Contacts, Answer, and Hangup all by voice
Digit Dial, Listen to music, & movies by voice
Dictate Text and E-Mail Messages by voice
Update Facebook & Twitter, create reminders, schedule calendar, GPS navigation by voice
Call for help anywhere, anytime when it's really needed most! Includes Bed Kit to extend usage to 24 hours/day. Even works during power outages.
Worldwide Compatibility - Communicates wirelessly with Bluetooth cell phones. Use with any service provider worldwide! No contract cell phones at Tracfone are a economical, pay-as-you-go option nationwide.
Easy to Use - Natural voice prompts, intelligently responds and asks when it does not understand!
Powerful - Up to 150 voice contacts! Supports any language even individuals with slurred speech if speak consistently.
Convenient & Safer - No wearing uncomfortable headset all day or risk of having it fall off! No wireless signal being pumped through your brain all day.
Versatile - Includes Wired Privacy Headset - simply unplug speaker and plug-in earphone. Includes accessible push-button control supplementing voice control to answer, hangup, start voice control & more
No need to see or touch phone. Great for those with vision impairments or blindness Announces incoming Caller ID, appointment reminders, and reads incoming text and e-mail messages.* Safely answer and place calls while driving with hand controls!
Wheelchair Integrated - Velcros inconspicuously under wheelchair seat so it's virtually unnoticeable yet always available without interfering with transfers. New Vocalize Power-to-Go Power Adapter plugs into wheelchair charging socket to run directly off power wheelchair batteries so there's nothing to forget to recharge, simply charge wheelchair normally now without unplugging Vocalize.
If you receive assistance through any one of the following government programs, you qualify for the Lifeline program : * Medicaid * Food Stamps * Supplemental Security Income (also know as SSI) * Section 8 Federal Public Housing Assistance * Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) * Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program (TANF) * National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch. OR Your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government.
Phone Compatibility: Vocalize will work with MOST Bluetooth cell phones. Phones with built-in voice dialing will be easier to setup. Phone should support VOICE DIALING OVER BLUETOOTH and ideally DIGIT DIALING BY VOICE.
Vocalize supports Android v2.2 or newer Phones and iPhone 3GS v3.1 or newer!
Every Vocalize Package Includes
Vocalize Brainbox - velcros under wheelchair seat pan
Vocalize Wheelchair Headrest Flex Microphone -straps to wheelchair headrest post
Vocalize Speaker - attaches with included bracket to wheelchair backrest
Vocalize Control Switches - used to setup Vocalize, adjust volume, or pushbutton alternative to voice commands
alternative Mini Stick/Clip-on Microphone - stick to side of joystick controller, head array display, or arm for chin joystick
Bed Kit: 25 ft microphone extension cable to optionally use microphone not utilized on wheelchair on bed
Vocalize Power2Go 24 VDC Power Adapter - conveniently plugs into wheelchair charging socket under wheelchair sea
IMPORTANT: If your wheelchair:
does not have a 3-prong charging socket under the wheelchair seat frame
charging socket is under the front of the joystick controller or on the head-array display pane
Be sure to select the second package which includes2nd 3-Prong Female Charging Socket Cable Kit. Cable kit connects directly to the wheelchair batteries, providing a convenient charging socket under your seat to plug any of Broadened Horizons' Power2Go accessories into, including your Vocalize System.
Vocalize Portable available for demo centers
Our most popular and recommended package includes:
- Vocalize Power Wheelchair System
- 3rd Arm Cell Phone Mini-Mount
- Power2Go 2nd Charging Socket Cable Kit
- Power2Go USB Device Charger
- Privacy Earphone
- Up to 1 Hour of Phone Training & Setup Support
- Full 1st Year Warranty Extension on Vocalize System
- User Manual
- Troubleshooting Guide
Common Cell Phone Questions
Where do I buy my cell phone and which carrier should I use?
You can purchase your cell phone anywhere you would normally. Broadened Horizons offers No Contract, Unlocked phones for AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, and most other carriers worldwide with best available voice dialing software conveniently preconfigured. With NO Contract you can use it with pay-as-you-go, family plans, or monthly service and change service providers anytime. Which carrier depends on your personal preferences, friends and family, coverage in your area, etc.
Can you recommend a compatible phone? Which model should I get?
Review the No Contract, Unlocked phones we stock and preconfigure for you - just open the box and start using!
Vocalize will work with MOST Bluetooth cell phones. Phones with built-in voice dialing will be faster and easier to setup. Be sure the phone supports VOICE DIALING OVER BLUETOOTH and ideally DIGIT DIALING BY VOICE. Unfortunately Broadened Horizons is unable to recommend specific models as it is impossible for us to test all of them. When explaining to a cell phone store representative, Voice Dialing over Bluetooth means if you push the button on a Bluetooth headset you would hear the phone's prompt for a voice command through the Bluetooth headset such as "Say a command". Digit Dialing by Voice means there is a voice command available such as: "DIAL 6-1-2-8-5-1-1-0-4-0". The phone must support the Bluetooth HSP Hands-Free Profile, (only a few Bluetooth phones from 2006 or earlier do not).
Feature Phones - Industry Term for All Non-Smartphones
- LG, Samsung, and Motorola have historically offered feature phones offering good quality voice dialing over Bluetooth.
"Mobile Virtual Network Operators" or MVNO's
Rather than having their own network these providers actually use the network and wireless infrastructure owned by the four large carriers—Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint. The advantage of this is that you get access to the reliable network coverage of a large carrier without getting stuck in an unfair and restrictive contract. A few "contract-free-only" carriers use their own network, such as MetroPCS, and Cricket Wireless.
- Ting - Mobile that makes sense - inexpensive true Pay-As-You-Go per minute/text/megabyte that operate on Sprint's CDMA (& maybe T-Mobile's GSM) nationwide network
- Solavei - $50/month unlimited voice, text, & data on T-Mobile's GSM nationwide network. Earn $20/month for every 3 people you sign up!
- Virgin Mobile - (owned by Sprint) inexpensive CDMA Pay-As-You-Go on Sprint's CDMA nationwide network
- Boost Mobile - (owned by Sprint) $50/month unlimited talk, text, and 2.5 GB data on Sprint's CDMA & Nextel iDEN Networks
- H2O Wireless - $20-$60/month Unlimited talk, text, and 2 GB data on AT&T's GSM nationwide network
- GSM Nation - unlocked phones and information on contract-less plans from all available carriers and
- TracFone Wireless offers inexpensive GSM Pay-As-You-Go Phones that operate on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon's networks through agreements
- Simple Mobile - operates on T-Mobile's GSM nationwide network
- NET10 Wireless - $20-$50/month Unlimited talk, text, and data nationwide (or $65/mo intl) on T-Mobile & AT&T (1.5 GB limit) networks.
- Safelink Wireless - Free subsidize 65, 125, or 250 minute plans under Lifeline program for low income qualifying families
- Straight Talk - unlimited talk, text, data for $45 per month (service locked phones)
- Telcel América - Spanish language marketed to US immigrant Mexican Latino community
Smartphone App Recommendations
- iPhone Siri on iOS 6.0 - finally works great completely hands free with Bluetooth devices like Vocalize. The huge difference is the addition of confirmations. So finally I can recommend [Updated 10-15-12]
Vocalize works perfectly with iPhone 5, 4S, 4, and 3GS running version 3.1 firmware or newer. Siri for iOS 6.0 on the iPhone 5 and update for 4S finally works EXCELLENT completely hands free over Bluetooth with Vocalize.
Prior versions of Siri (iPhone 3, 3G, 3GS, 4) may require you to push the screen at times and leave a Vocalize user stuck. So some customers with older iPhone's prefer Vlingo and/or you might want to try a few of the following.
- Voice Text Pro - Video
- Dragon Dictation for iPhone by Nuance- text or e-mail your friends, update your Facebook and Twitter status, send notes and reminders.
- Dragon Search - simply speak your search queries and get instant and simultaneous search results
- Vlingo for iPhone- worth trying out
- NOT COMPATIBLE: iPhone 3G or 3GS ver 3.0 firmware simply do not support Voice Dialing over Bluetooth
- Text by Voice - Sonalight - Free
- Text by Voice allows you to Name Dial and text ENTIRELY THROUGH VOICE! It is easy to learn. There's no need to touch or look at the screen at all. Text by Voice will OPTIONALLY read incoming text messages aloud and give you a chance to respond by voice or set auto responder to reply if you are unable. Text by Voice can start automatically with Bluetooth, when phone is plugged in, or when you start driving more than 10 mph, and make calls hands-free. It runs in the background so you can use other apps at the same time.
- IMPORTANT TIPS to use Text by Voice with VOCALIZE:
- ACTIVATE the Bluetooth microphone and 'Text by Voice' Key Phrase.
- SAY "Telephone" and Vocalize will 'turn on' Text by Voice.
- SAY "Text by Voice" key phrase to activate microphone (like 'Wake-up' in Dragon). You are prompted "Who do you want to Text?"
- SAY "[Contact Name]" or "Call [Contact Name]"
- SAY "End Call" and Vocalize will Terminate an active call.
- IMPORTANT: When Finished texting and calling say "Turn Off" to close Bluetooth channel and stop listening for 'Text by Voice' key phrase or you will experience frequent false positives. Later say telephone again and Vocalize will reopen Bluetooth channel.
- To use Text by Voice or any app secondary to another primary voice dialing app that supports opening other apps say "Open Text by Voice" within the 1st app.
- Voice Control (Full) - Luka Kama - $1.99 or FREE Test (English & Italian)
- Easier to configure than EVA/AVX with more features than Text By Voice but slightly slow interaction. Free test has numerous limitations. Take a few minutes to learn it is timing nuances. Tip: pause for 2 seconds after prompt before saying "yes" to confirmations. Uses Google Voice Search recognition engine by default but can also use other recognition engines. Complete control without looking at or tapping the screen! Start calls to contacts and numbers, send messages, play music, handle lost calls, unread messages and more only with your voice.
- The available voice actions and commands are:
- - Call a contact
- - Compose a number
- - Send a message to a contact
- - Listen to a song, a playlist, an album or all songs from an artist (supports local phone media, and listen to a playlist, an album and to all songs from an artist works and has been tested only with Google Music Player, PowerAMP, Music PlayerPro and Winamp)
- - Manage lost calls
- - Manage unread messages
- - Start Navigation to a destination (works only with Google Navigator)
- - Stop the navigator (may not work with all Phones' ver of Google Navigator)
- - Start an application
- - Add an event to calendar (only for Italian, English, French, German and Spanish, working in progress for Russian)
- - Add an alarm to the phone (only for Italian, English, French, German and Spanish, working in progress for Russian)
- - Help action do ask what can be said
- - Action to know current date and time
- - Execute tasks defined in Tasker application
- Android Voice Xtreme (AVX) $19.95
Free 30 day trial with Eva Intern Virtual Assistant - Full Manual
- Most Powerful with Most Features but also most complicated with almost every aspect configurable. 28 Day FREE Trial. Like Siri but with much more functionality, configurability, and corresponding complexity. Even Environmental Control with Insteon and X10 the for lights, Broadened Horizons X10 ECU Bed Controller all by voice through your Vocalize Wheelchair Bluetooth Cell Phone Voice Control System.
- 50 Features Demo Video on Samsung Galaxy S3 AVX features a new much more functional user interface compared to the following Eva or Evan (read below), but they all share the same code and voice command functionality. Check out all the videos at BulletProof.com and YouTube Location and time-based actions, location-based reminders, and custom voice shortcuts to any application. Does everything Vlingo, Speaktoit, Jeannie, and Iris can do but much more. Uninstall free version before installing full version, settings will be retained. Bulletproof developer has best responsiveness of almost any voice control app which makes all the difference! Check out this excellent review: "Eva. She is a Siri-like personal assistant that has been a Godsend. There are so many features that it almost seems limitless. The dev (Bulletproof) has Eva, Evan and now Android Voice Xtreme (AVX). The only difference between Eva and Evan is the "gender" and AVX has a unique UI to the other 2 but they all have the same features. If the dev wasnt so proactive and responsive, this would not be the app it is today. Its a bit pricey compaired to most but I couldn't run my business as effectively without it. (Plus he gives u free version to try for 28 days) I'm actually considering paying for AVX because I like the UI a little better."
Android - Read Blog Post : Android Hands-Free Voice Control, Voice Recognition, and Dictation
Vocalize works perfectly with Android phones running version 2.2 Froyo firmware or newer. Prior versions of the android operating system (2.1 and earlier) simply do not support Voice Dialing over Bluetooth. To confirm which version you have, open SETTINGS, then ABOUT PHONE, then SOFTWARE INFORMATION.
- Google Voice Dialer is standard on Android 2.2 to but lacks voice confirmations.
- Google Voice Search with Voice Actions - FREE from Android Market and when combined with Vocalize you can USE ONLY YOUR VOICE call anyone, dictate text messages, e-mails, update Facebook, Twitter or Foursquare, search the web, navigate to a location, and much more (sending text, e-mails, navigation require tapping the send button on touchscreen). To launch Voice Search directly install Ear Buddy from android market or alternatively say: "Open Voice Search" when prompted by Google Voice Dialer.
- RECOMMENDED for older Android 2.2: Choice Dialer Plus Free - best name and digit voice dialer with voice confirmations, control music, audio books, and movies, open GPS navigation to a specific address, set a reminder, check the time, find a contact, and more ALL by voice combined with Vocalize. Inexpensively upgrade for $5 to also dictate text messages, dictate e-mail messages, and dictate contents of new scheduled calendar item. [One limitation, someone must tap SEND button on the touchscreen to transmit the text/e-mail message, though we are working with the developer to overcome this]
- SETTINGS- Set all 4 options to Car Mode, enable digit dialing, enable media commands, etc.
- TIP- Say "Open Voice Search" or "Vlingo" to take advantage of specific features of other voice control apps
- Vlingo InCar - Dictate and send a text message using only your voice! However, only use it with practiced contacts because if it does not understand the contact name or you have multiple matches, it will prompt you and you will have to tap the screen of the phone. Audio stays in phone, does not route through Bluetooth speakerphone.
- REQUIRED SETTING - disable wake-up command
- T-Mobile Comet is not compatible with Vocalize or VoiceBT or any device that requires a Bluetooth pin code. Will pair but WILL NOT CONNECT. Works fine with our switch enabled speakerphones that do not require Bluetooth pin code. As of 01-26-11 -could be resolved through update in future but dubious. Lots of customer complaints about Bluetooth connectivity online.
Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile 6.x
Windows Phone 7 with LG Voice-to-Text with Vocalize offers ability to dictate and send text and e-mail messages 100% by voice, in addition to name and digit dialing, and more. (this was reported, has not yet been tested by Broadened Horizons)
Broadened Horizons originally integrated and offered the Advanced Voice Control Package for Windows Mobile 5.0 2005/2006 over a year before large companies such as Ford begin offering the same technology. The Windows Mobile and Windows Phone platform offers some of the best, most developed and experienced speaker independent voice control available!
- LG Voice-to-Text for Windows Phone 7 - Free on Marketplace is a rebranding of Nuance Dragon Dictation for mobiles. Dictate text messages, e-mails, and Facebook / Twitter status updates. Available in English and Spanish for AT&T LG Optimus and in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish for European LG Optimus 7Q. Support for other Windows Phone7 models unknown.
- Microsoft Tellme is on all Windows Phone 7 - name dialing, Web searching, and opening apps - Should work with Vocalize
- Vlingo for Windows Mobile- worth trying out
Other Voice Control Services - voice dial, dictate and send text messages, e-mail, and more with ANY phone
JOTT Assistant - by Nuance (developers of Dragon NaturallySpeaking) simply call 866-JOTT-123 from any phone to send text messages, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, your Blog and 30 other web services by voice only.
$4/month, 1 week free trial.
Dial2Do - Any phone plus extra features on android and Blackberry. Create reminders, send texts, listen to and send email, voice to text transcription, twitter, Google calendar, blogging, and other third party apps
$2.49 /month or $5.99 /month, 30 day free trial
LG Voice-to-Text on Windows Phone 7 with Vocalize offers ability to dictate text and e-mail messages 100% by voice, plus excellent name and digit dialing, and more
See Software App Recommendations: Android Choice Dialer Plus and iPhone Dragon Dictate
How can I check voicemail?
In your contact list, create a VOICEMAIL contact with the number to be dialed. Then simply say "call voicemail" as any other name and you will be connected with your voicemail system. Some voicemail systems will automatically play any NEWvoicemails without needing to push any buttons. Due to technical limitations it is impossible to dictate a command to dial any individual digit while you are connected to a call. A digit can be sent using the round knob button on the Vocalize control switches if you are able, but typically it is more convenient to simply tap the appropriate button on your phone keypad. Some individuals may need assistance.
Third-party services can send your voicemail to you as text, SMS, e-mail, or check your voicemail using your computer.
Google Voice - FREE transcription of voicemails into text or e-mail messages and cheapest international calling rates. Android and iPhone app. Found transcription to be helpful, but sometimes confusing. Gives you a good idea of what the messages about but may leave a few questions in your mind. Enough to call or text that person back.
JOTT Voicemail - Transcribes your voicemail messages into text and e-mail messages. A bit expensive at $9.95 /month for 40 voicemails. From Nuance, developers of Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
Other Useful FREE Services to utilize completely by voice with Vocalize
Call 800-555-TELL to find businesses, get driving directions, call a taxi, check weather, movies, news, stocks, sports, horoscope, download ring tones, get Airline flight information, book a hotel, even play blackjack, all completely FREE from Tellme!
Do you have anything less expensive and portable?
Yes! If you are able to press larger buttons and don't need complete voice control we also offer a few other lower-cost alternatives such as the VoiceBT and Communicator switch enabled Bluetooth speakerphone's but with without voice activation, answering, and hanging up offered by the Vocalize system. refer to the Comparision Table
Connect with friends and family...
- “Where are my friends?”
- “Update Facebook status; Headed to New York for the weekend!”
- “Call Mom”
- “Text Laura; Want to see a movie tonight?”
- “Email John; Subject, Running Late; Message, John, I’ll be 10 minutes late for the meeting.”
Find businesses and things to do...
- “Call plumber”
- “Find a sushi restaurant”
- “Movie times in Boston”
- "Beachfront hotels in Miami"
- "Call Best Buy"
And navigate through your daily life...
- “What does poison ivy look like?”
- “Get directions to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave”
- "Navigate Home"
- “Open alarm clock”
Steve Caputo, Hope Sound, Florida
The Vocalize system is wonderful! Now, going off to the beach alone isn't an issue. Control of the iPod through the iPhone's commands is a breeze as well. Thank you very much. Great work! You'll be getting more orders from me. My caregiver and I managed to work all the kinks out of my Vocalize system based on your suggestions. Since, I haven't had any problems. High wind on the beach is the only thing preventing me from getting near perfect voice recognition. [Wind is a challenge for any microphone. We suggest adding additional low density foam for greater wind protection]
Kenley Steeg, Houston, Texas
"My Mother recently passed away, but was able to significantly increase her quality of life through the use of your product. Since the phone worked so well for us, I plan to donate the phone to TIRR (Texas Institute for Rehabilitation and Research), as this product seems to have more functionality than any they knew of." [his mother utilized the Vocalize Portable with Advanced Voice Control and the VoiceIR]
Noel Zugay, Chagrin Falls, Ohio
"I have had my Vocalize Telephone for about three months. I changed the command "telephone" to "COOKIE". I am driving everyone crazy, referring to COOKIE as if she is my best friend. I can talk to friends, conduct daily business, and feel safer when alone. COOKIE has changed my life. Thank you. Thank you."
Joe Sendon, Randolph, New Jersey
"I really like the Vocalize system. It's really amazing! I thought there would be some problem that wasn't advertised but there isn't! It works great! In fact, I'm shocked at how easy and reliable it actually is!
A friend of mine installed it for me in an afternoon. The installation was a matter of connecting a few wires to the wheelchair batteries and positioning the Vocalize components. Mark was even available to answer questions during and after installation!
I'm a quad that drives and had an old analog phone installed in my van over fifteen years ago. I rarely talk on the phone but need it for safety reasons, like if I break down on the road, need to call my nurse or family members for whatever reason, etc.
With all this new technology, I thought it would be easy to find a truly hands-free cell phone, but it's not. Vocalize is the only system I found to fit all my needs. Plus, with it working right off my wheelchair, I can make a call from anywhere, which is an added bonus I didn't have with my previous van phone. Now, if I get stuck in the backyard, I can call someone for help without lifting a finger, which I can't do anyway! I'm amazed how this works and adds to my safety.
I'm very happy with the Vocalize system and recommend it to anyone who wants a truly hands-free cell phone."
"The [Vocalize] system has been working pretty good overall. Because I live alone, answering calls at night, or just for emergencies is vital to my independence. The system seems to work quite well on picking up on my voice. I can have the TV going, as long as the volume is low, it still seems to work ok. The recognition of my voice is pretty darn good overall. At night I park my chair about 12 feet away from me and off to the front right. I am not using [the bed kit]. The microphone is about 10 to 12 feet from me [on my wheelchair] when i lay in bed and it still works pretty darn good. I'm using the [Lapel] mic that has a base that lets it swivel and I have it mounted right in front of my joystick, pointed towards my face, probably about 18 inches away from my mouth. I use the same mic during the day [and at night] so i don't have to change anything. It's pretty cool!"
1 Year Later... "Thanks for your help the other day trouble shooting the reinstallation of my Vocalize cell phone system. I also wanted to thank you for the Comfort Carrier, it works really good. You have some great inventions that are really helping a lot of people and making big differences in their lives. I imagine my next purchase will be the new IR system [VoiceIR]. Thumbs up on all your great inventions!!"
I want to thank you for the information about the phone program. I now have one. It's the same phone that I purchased two of so I'm familiar with it. I really appreciate what you did... Again I thank you and I will definitely let people at the MS Achievement Center know about you when I get back there.
(Editorial Comment: Sometimes our solutions may not be the best fit for everyone, but were not afraid to tell you or where to find the most appropriate products to fit your needs!)
"I would love replace my cell phone with the new iPhone 3G but the absence of voice recognition is big. I could actually use the iPhone perfectly fine when in my chair with my hand splint on [using the TenOne Pogo Stylus]. But I would need pure voice-activated dialing to make calls from my bed at night (for emergencies). There is a new program waiting for approval for the iPhone App Store called “Voice Dial” that will add a level of speech recognition to the iPhone. But as with other cell phones you still have to press a button on your phone to bring up the voice prompt which kind of defeats the purpose, at least for me.
A few months ago I purchased this device called “Vocalize” which, in combination with the Windows Mobile, Bluetooth enabled, smartphone (I got the Motorola Q9h) [supports any Bluetooth phone] allows you to use the voice commands of your phone without having to press a button. You simply say your magic keyword (like “telephone”, for example) to activate the voice prompt. The device actually hooks up to your wheelchair batteries and mounts underneath your seat. Then you establish a Bluetooth connection between Vocalize and your cell phone [by pairing it like any Bluetooth device] and you’re ready to go. It was somewhat difficult to install on my wheelchair but it was worth it. I don’t actually use it during the day I’m up in my chair but when I’m in bed at night it’s my lifeline. Even recognizes my voice from the other side of the room where I plug my wheelchair in to charge.
So if the iPhone got voice-recognition and it was compatible with Vocalize I would buy one right now. Actually, if the iPhone got voice-recognition that I could activate [without pushing a button] without the need for Vocalize I’d buy one immediately as well, even though that would render Vocalize useless. I don’t know if it’s ever going to happen so I’ll probably buy an iPod Touch instead in the next few months now that I know I could actually use one. Geez, sorry for the long post. I could have made this post an article in itself!"